Whether you’re opening a restaurant, food truck, catering business, or a stall in Salt City Market, the 6 supports below will help you build a more profitable, sustainable business.
- Food Biz Basics = We host this 1-day class 3x a year: First Tuesdays in February, June & December, 6-8 pm in our Community Room. We cover the following topics to help you get started selling your food, growing your audience, and understanding the rules: Intro to Salt City Market & Salt City Test Kitchen, Catering / Popups, Food Costing, ServSafe, Permits, Insurance, Social Media 101. Cost is $15.
- Start It for Food Businesses = We host this 12-week class twice a year – spring (March, April, May) & fall (September, October, November) – on Tuesdays from 6-8 pm in our Community Room. Spring is a general class open to all types of businesses; Fall is reserved exclusively for food-based businesses. Weekly homework is required. At the end of this course, you will have a completed business plan. This forms the foundation of your business and is essential to getting a business loan from a bank. Cost is $100, sign up here.
- Technical Assistance. Learn from the best. Once you’ve successfully completed Start It, we connect you with free, expert ‘Technical Assistance’ (TA) where you need it most. Some examples include: lawyers, accountants, designers, marketers, recipe writers, etc.
- Salt City Test Kitchen. Cooking and selling food to the public takes support and practice. Salt City Test Kitchen (435 N Salina) is our practice space, available for hourly rental 24/7 at $20/hour. This is a great way to scale up your operation, experiment with a concept, and make a little extra money. Come take a tour of the kitchen or visit our website: https://www.saltcitytestkitchen.com/ .
- Loan. Getting a loan can be very difficult – especially for first time business owners. Once you’ve completed Start It, we’ll help you polish your business plan and connect you with banks and loan officers who understand and trust our process.
For more information about any of the above supports, please reach out to: Adam Sudmann, Market Manager | firstname.lastname@example.org | 646.207.5683